Fwd: (Planned) Emergency Social - Friday 20th March, 6pm, Wenlock Arms

James Laver james.laver at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 13:02:06 GMT 2009

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 12:47 PM, Tony Kennick
<0995a06aaeaf6b70e79c3aafd6719329 at half.pint.org.uk> wrote:

> That might be true for your branch, but not for CAMRA as a whole, this
> can be clearly demonstrated if you look at the newly crowned National
> Pub of the Year in Sheffield (my branch).

Everything about beer runs smoothly in Yorkshire.

> Now my perception of Cask Marque is that it is *they* who are far more
> about cellar temperatures than total beer quality.

They don't care about cellar temperature, they just care about the
temperature of the beer when it comes out of the tap, and only insofar
as it affects the taste.

Cask Marque auditors won't go behind the bar, they're only there to
taste the beer as a customer would.[1]

They do, on the other hand, offer quite cheap cellar keeping courses.
Temperature can be an important aspect of keeping beer in good
condition but it isn't everything. The best pint of beer I've had was
kept at room temperature.

--James
[1] See section 1.9 of http://www.cask-marque.co.uk/pdf/gainaward.pdf