Schema into diagrams

Dave Hodgkinson davehodg at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 14:04:12 GMT 2009

On 27 Mar 2009, at 17:43, Ben Evans wrote:

> Paul Makepeace wrote:

>>> I use SQL::Translator for that
>>>
>>> http://search.cpan.org/dist/SQL-Translator/
>>>

>> Thanks. (Used that years ago so it goes)
>>
>> OmniGraffle is a great tool for this kind of thing, and it looks like
>> its file format is an Apple plist (XML) so should be reasonably
>> straightforward to have SQL::Translator spit out data that
>> OmniGraffle
>> could render nicely. Has anyone done this or anything in this
>> direction?
>>
> I haven't, but it would be a great help with something I'm currently
> working on, so if anyone does have any tips, please can we keep the
> list copied on them.

Seconded.

I want something like Visio Enterprise that not only diagrams but also
rummages in the database to do schema discovery.

One mark agains SQL::Translator, unless anyone has a fix, it shows the
tables alphabetically, which can make the arrow nest a bit messy. Being
able to specify the order of tables output would be nice.

Dave Hodgkinson                                MSN: davehodg at hotmail.com
Site: http://www.davehodgkinson.com                  UK: +44 7768 490620
Blog: http://davehodg.blogspot.com
Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/davehodg