compression algorithm!

Paul Makepeace paulm at paulm.com
Wed Apr 8 10:43:34 BST 2009

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 6:08 AM, abhishek jain
<abhishek.netjain at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Friends,I have a task to discover or search for a compression algorithm
> which compresses even 300 - 400 characters to about at least 200-300%
> compression reducing them to 150 characters.

If you have e.g. XML compression ratios of 8:1 (85+% of original size)
aren't unreasonable depending on how verbose the schema & data is. The
problem you're likely to run into with such small file sizes (300-400
chars) is that there's a dictionary overhead the compression algorithm
requires per file.

One solution to this is to concatenate your files and then compress as one.

bzip2 and gzip, both free, work well with text.

Paul