Best pick for time-based 'event' looping?

Billy Abbott billy at
Thu Apr 16 10:41:18 BST 2009

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009, Peter Corlett wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 06:16:56PM -0700, Randy J. Ray wrote:
>> What I'm looking for is a best-of-breed sort of CPAN solution for a
>> job-queue processor in which the jobs are run based on time. Not quite
>> "cron", mind you, but not too different from that. In essence:
> What you described sounds awfully like at(1), and the crufty hacks people
> used on VMS to do a cron-equivalent. (VMS only had an at-equivalent when I
> last poked at it.)

We use this beast on VMS (and have been for a while) to make scheduling

It does stuff on non-VMS platforms as well but I suspect it is both
expensive and overkill for most people's needs. It does allow time based
scheduling though, which is nice :)

I think commas are a tool of oppression.