Beautiful is better than ugly

Edmund von der Burg edmund.vonderburg at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 14:06:26 BST 2009

2009/4/22 Simon Wilcox <essuu at ourshack.com>:
> My point was DO or DO NOT there is no "let's all bitch and moan on a mailing
> list, get ourselves in a tizzy and do naff all about it".

Well said.

Also - let's be really clear on one thing: proper design is VERY hard.

This means that when someone has a go and tries to redesign something
they will need to invest lots of time and effort in doing it. As
design is highly subjective there is also a strong likelihood that
what one person loves someone else will hate. Critique should always
be welcome - as long as it is constructive. Nonconstructive critique
immediately saps the enthusiasm of anyone who wants to get involved.

For the most part we (Perl coders) are unlikely to be the best people
to do the design. We know the subject too well, we're blind to the
flaws of the current sites and we're heavily invested and so may be
reluctant to make radical changes.

It speaks volumes about the Perl community's approach to design that
we don't even have the legal right to use the camel symbol which is
most associated with the language.

If (when) some design changes come along:
  * applaud the commitment of whoever but the effort in
  * don't critique without objective reasons and practical suggestions
  * if you don't care about design stay out of the discussions

Cheers,
  Edmund.

--
evdb at ecclestoad.co.uk - http://ecclestoad.co.uk