Measuring power

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Wed Apr 29 12:57:15 BST 2009

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 09:42:55AM +0100, Andrew Beattie wrote:

> I can't go round, yanking out cables and inserting in-line meters.
> So, I got a clamp meter.  But contrary to my expectation, that only
> works if I can separate the individual wires in the power cable - not an
> option.
> So, I'm stuck.  Is there any non-intrusive way to measure the power
> consumption of my servers?

You could measure the heat output from each server, as, averaged over a
reasonably long period, that is == energy consumption.

However, to do that accurately would be even more disruptive than just
scheduling some downtime to use an inline meter.

Or you could yank the power and see how long the UPSes last :-)

Did you know that shotguns taste like candy canes?  Put the barrel in
your mouth and pull the trigger for an extra blast of minty goodness!