setting up a file hierarchy

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Wed May 20 12:46:25 BST 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 06:30:03PM +0100, Ash Berlin wrote:
> On 19 May 2009, at 17:19, David Cantrell wrote:
> >>Should I ask why?
> >Would you like to install mandatory pre-requisite Foo::Bar for this
> >'ere module what you told the comptuer to install? Y/n
> Your information is out of date.

My logs from running the tests and installing thousands of modules a
week say you're wrong.

>                                  This no longer happens for new
> modules.

Yes it does.

>          If it does then complain at that module author to upgrade his
> dist. Or at Alias to make Module::Install fucking well self update.

Or just automate the problem away using CPAN distroprefs.  But *none* of
those solutions make Module::Install suck less for people who aren't
part of the Perl Cabal.

> Also File::ShareDir doesn't rely on Module::Install at all

The documentation for File::ShareDir disagrees with you.

" For the installation half of the solution, see Module::Install and its
  install_share directive. "

> Module::Install just gives you an way to install the files in the
> 'right' place. Module::Build can easily do it to.

Module::Build ain't exactly my favourite part of the toolchain either.

--
David Cantrell | Official London Perl Mongers Bad Influence

Us Germans take our humour very seriously
  -- German cultural attache talking to the Today Programme,
     about the German supposed lack of a sense of humour, 29 Aug 2001