Desperately seeking Javascript help

Andy Wardley abw at wardley.org
Sat Jul 18 18:41:00 BST 2009

David Cantrell wrote:
> Can anyone point me at a tutorial which will show me how to put a map in
> a page, point it at my own map tiles, and Just Work?

<points/>

   http://wardley.org/misc/map_overlay.html

It's not a tutorial but it shows the 20 or so lines of code you need to
create a custom tile overlay in a google map.  It's based on the example in
the google maps docs:

   http://code.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/overlays.html#CustomMapTiles

You'll also need a <script> tag in the page header to load the google maps
library and something to call show_map() when the documents loads.  You can
do that with <body> attributes like this:

Or using jQuery, like this:

   <script>
     $(document).ready(show_map).unload(GUnload);
   </script>

Then all you need to do it write your own function to return the correct
map tile for the lng/lat/zoom:

     tiles.getTileUrl = function(point,zoom) {
	// return a URL for the tile image at point.x, pointy at
         // zoom level zoom
     };

HTH