Decent OS X audio rip software

Paul Makepeace paulm at
Mon Jul 27 21:26:50 BST 2009

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 8:24 PM, Ask Bjørn Hansen<ask at> wrote:
> On Jul 27, 2009, at 11:19, Paul Makepeace wrote:
>> I've just discovered that iTunes will merrily rip CDs with errors and
>> make no mention of this. Is there a way to have iTunes bail or retry
>> on rip error?
> I've no idea what it does, but there's a "Use error-correction on Audio CDs"
> checkbox in the preferences.

Whatever it does, it allows glitches & pops in the output. I should've
said, I already had that checked.

> I haven't tried it, but I looked at "Rip" and "Max" for my never-happening
> re-encode-everything project: and

Rip seems lossless only, at this point, afaict. I mailed the author
requesting he put up some blurb on the differences.

Max seems interesting - it uses cdparanoia and a couple of other
rippers. It's pretty complex, and encoding to AAC is not obvious: you
need to select MPEG 4 Audio rather than AAC (ADTS). And then you have
to take a guess at what Quality: Low/.../Maximum means. Yes, it's a
separate option from bitrate, and VBR...

Annoyingly, Max doesn't seem to use Gracenote* out of the box, nor
does it auto-complete based on existing titles (like iTunes) so
ripping these uncommon CDs is going to be painful :-/