Decent OS X audio rip software

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Wed Jul 29 10:50:20 BST 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 10:41:52AM +0100, Damon Allen Davison wrote:
>OS X is a bit of a problem in this regard. cdparanoia via Max is the best
>GUI solution, as far as I'm concerned, but the metadata goes missing. Using
>Max in combination with MusicBrainz' Picard tagger would probably work fine.
>I actually use cdparanoia on the command line to do my ripping.

It's fairly trivial to code up a small chunk of code to convert, rename
and tag the files one has ripped with CDParanoia. One might even use, oh
I don't know, Perl.

(Please archive in FLAC if you have the storage space; it will cause the
least trouble in the long run, as it is the most widely-supported and
least legally-encumbered lossless compression format. Which is not to
say you shouldn't also transcode to something lossy for devices with
limited storage...)