Decent OS X audio rip software

James Laver james.laver at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 11:03:30 BST 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 10:50 AM, Roger Burton West<roger at firedrake.org> wrote:

> (Please archive in FLAC if you have the storage space; it will cause the
> least trouble in the long run, as it is the most widely-supported and
> least legally-encumbered lossless compression format. Which is not to
> say you shouldn't also transcode to something lossy for devices with
> limited storage...)

I would, but I'm lazy.

Laziness involves using itunes to sync my ipod. ipod does not support
FLAC. itunes can only even play flac with a third party plugin. Since
this plugin doesn't support automatically reencoding when shipping it
off to my ipod, it's not really practical.

Disk space is cheap and all my CDs are ripped in AAC lossless (which
the ipod does support). Keeping a lossless and a lossy copy would be
just a bit much even for me though.

--James (who is annoyed that rockbox *still* doesn't support his 3rd
gen ipod nano).