Cheap perl e-books

Kieren Diment diment at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 15:17:10 BST 2009

On 28/08/2009, at 12:05 AM, Robert Shiels wrote:

> Paul Makepeace wrote:
>
>> Paul, can read ebooks way faster than paper ones & searchable...
> Maybe this is a desirable feature for technical books. But for
> novels, or coffeetable type books, and other less work related
> volumes you're losing a lot of the joy of reading. Paper books will
> be around for a long time yet.

On 28/08/2009, at 12:05 AM, Robert Shiels wrote:

> Paul Makepeace wrote:
>
>> Paul, can read ebooks way faster than paper ones & searchable...
> Maybe this is a desirable feature for technical books. But for
> novels, or coffeetable type books, and other less work related
> volumes you're losing a lot of the joy of reading. Paper books will
> be around for a long time yet.

Hmm,

I read the final harry potter book [1] on my rather small screened
symbian mobile, and it didn't really detract from the enjoyment of
reading.  On the other hand, I frequently need to print out the nasty
technical stuff I read for work because otherwise I can't grok it
properly.

[1] Yes, the crowd sourced transcript.  And yes I did buy a second
hand copy of the same book later on.[2]

[2] And being the author of a non-free book, I do feel rather
conflicted about seeing my work for free download on the 'net, but I'm
confident in the honesty of people who are a. less skint than me, and
b. don't have the same long-term access to a university library that I
have got.