Cheap perl e-books

Paul Makepeace paulm at paulm.com
Fri Aug 28 00:48:24 BST 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Robert Shiels <robert at se71.org> wrote:

> Paul Makepeace wrote:
>

>> Paul, can read ebooks way faster than paper ones & searchable...
>>

> Maybe this is a desirable feature for technical books. But for novels, or coffeetable type books, and other less work related volumes you're losing a lot of the joy of reading. Paper books will be around for a long time yet.

Oh, I don't for a moment suggest paper books are about to suffer any
imminent demise. (Anyone who likes the likes of Taschen would see
thru' such nonsense immediately.)

The Kindle is one amazing piece of kit; I for one can't wait for it to
appear here. And yeah, I don't give a flying f- about Amazon tracking
my reading habits or accidentally deleting titles.

FWIW, I find _more_ joy in reading something I can do with one hand;
that provides a consistent, flat interface to my eyes; that will open
exactly where I left it; that will do that for the seventeen books I'm
currently reading; that will download the latest news; that will allow
me to read pretty much any piece of mainstream literature on Earth;
and finally and most importantly that will allow me to read it a hell
of a lot faster than paper.

Paul