Payment Providers

Dominic Thoreau dominic.thoreau at
Fri Oct 2 10:44:34 BST 2009

2009/10/1 James Laver <james.laver at>:
> I'm looking for a card processing service to take payments with.
> Essential features:
> 1. No javascript required to make a payment (that means you, NetBanx).
> 2. No insistence on 3dsecure (because really, it's horrifically insecure).
> 3. I don't have to store any credit card details at all.
> 4. They deal with as many of the legal issues as possible so I don't have
> to. Particularly PCI DSS.
> 5. Established, tested cpan modules for dealing with them
> My initial inclinations were the big guns like Datacash and Paypoint, but of
> some concern was datacash's website being hosted on IIS, and the fact that
> neither of them have modules on cpan (and frankly, the perl examples for
> datacash were more than a little embarrassing for them).
> So, recommendations? Horror Stories? Legal guidance?

Okay, I've been quiet on this so far, and I admit I can't actually
address most of your points. Also, the disclaimer here is going to be
*very* obvious.

At my $employer , the CEO is also running another company, whose
primary business is handling credit card transactions. I'm moderately
sure that they don't have a CPAN module, but they are a perl shop, so
it shouldn't be outside their skills to make one.

In the interests of not spamming the whole list I'll not mention them
directly here - just say that they've got their office on one of the
main canals in Amsterdam, and leave it to James to email me offlist if
he wants details.

Disclaimer: I'm not actually employed by said company, but as far as I
know they may well be providing the profit that the boss is using to
keep us afloat (if we need that, I'm not exposed to the numbers that
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and
remove all doubt.
	-- Abraham Lincoln