Algorithm::Evolutionary (journal article)

Bob MacCallum uncoolbob at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 10:19:13 BST 2009

Just saw this on the GP list...

Algorithm::Evolutionary, a flexible Perl module for evolutionary computation

Journal: Soft Computing - A Fusion of Foundations, Methodologies and
Applications

Abstract: This paper describes Algorithm::Evolutionary (  A::E  ), a
Perl module released under an open source license and designed for the
exploration and exploitation of evolutionary algorithms. We describe
the design decisions taken to enhance flexibility, how performance was
improved by using several implementation tweaks, and what kind of
design patterns were applied for its development. This work also tries
to dispel the myth of low performance of scripting languages by
comparing it with a state-of-the-art library (ECJ) written in Java.
Besides, we are interested in assessing its efficiency in several
possible evolutionary settings, finding out what kind of behavior we
can expect, and what can be done to improve it. Applications already
written using  A::E   are also described, along with how it can be
used to create new operators. Finally, some conclusions are drawn from
the design experience.

Keywords  Evolutionary algorithms - Evolutionary computation - Perl -
CPAN - Frameworks - Design patterns

http://www.springerlink.com/content/8h025g83j0q68270/

Let me know if you have problems with the closed access content!  I
might, *cough*, be able to help.

One day when I CPANify PerlGP, I will take a look at
Algorithm::Evolutionary and try to use its base classes (although I
wanted to use Moose, so maybe not).

cheers,
Bob.

--