Sending $US to the US

Ian Knopke ian.knopke at
Wed Oct 7 12:55:29 BST 2009

A few ideas, based on my own international money transfer experiments:

1) Will they accept a credit or debit card number for the payment?
This works with the Canadian government; visa is universal!

2) I believe you can transfer money through a paypal account. I've
never done it, and I'm not sure what their fee is.

3) There are services like western union that do money transfers.

4) Otherwise I'd be tempted to a friend or someone in the Perl
community from the US to make the payment for you, and get them back
the next time you seem them. Lots of people in computers or IT get
around the world over the course of a year, and enjoy being paid in


On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 2:45 PM, Ovid <publiustemp-londonpm at> wrote:
> So, in order to get married, I need my birth certificate.  Texas requires, since I live outside the US, that I mail all of my paperwork to them, along with $27 US (not surprisingly, they don't accept pounds).  That's about £17. My bank charges £20 for the bank draft, plus the £17 face value.
> Anyone happen to know a less expensive way to send, via mail, US dollars to the US, short of sending cash?
> Cheers,
> Ovid
> --
> Buy the book         -
> Tech blog            -
> Twitter              -
> Official Perl 6 Wiki -

More information about the mailing list