Sending $US to the US

Matt Johnson mwj at doc.ic.ac.uk
Mon Oct 12 10:37:48 BST 2009

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Minty> They are supposed to be as good as cash from the recipients
> Minty> perspective (esp when drawn on the "local" currency), but replaceable
> Minty> if lost.  At least, that was my vauge memory/understanding.  I've not
> Minty> used them in years.
>
> Two years ago, I was travelling in Northern europe with Neil "geekcruises"
> Bauman, and we spent nearly an hour in each port trying to cash $500 of his
> "universal" American Express travellers checks.  The experience tells me only
> one thing: "They aren't universal any more".  Everyone expects credit or debit
> cards now... travellers checks are a thing of the past.

Certainly had no problem in the USA with AmEx $TCs -- using them "as
cash" in a shop generally gets protracted, but wandering into any bank
with them and my passport and asking them to cash them has never been a
problem.

Matt Johnson <mwj at doc.ic.ac.uk>

NOTE: I am no longer an employee of Imperial College London. I will
continue to monitor this email address and respond to emails, however,
please note that the content of this email does not reflect the
opinions or positions of Imperial College London in any way.