Sending $US to the US

Toby Wintermute tjc at
Tue Oct 13 01:07:46 BST 2009

2009/10/7 Ovid <publiustemp-londonpm at>:
> So, in order to get married, I need my birth certificate.  Texas requires, since I live outside the US, that I mail all of my paperwork to them, along with $27 US (not surprisingly, they don't accept pounds).  That's about £17. My bank charges £20 for the bank draft, plus the £17 face value.
> Anyone happen to know a less expensive way to send, via mail, US dollars to the US, short of sending cash?

If you sign up to's FX trading site, then
you can send them UK pounds via a regular bank transfer (BACS, it's
like paying a bill via internet banking), and then they will post you
a bank draft in the denominated currency of your choice.
(They also allow you to have the money sent via electronic means too)

I use these guys to xfer cash from the UK to Australia, have done so
for the past few years, and it's always been fine.. Good exchange
rates too. (I searched around a fair bit when I was emigrating)

(PS. I'm not affiliated with them in any way, and I don't receive any
benefits by mentioning them)


More information about the mailing list