Credit Cards

Denny 2009 at denny.me
Tue Oct 13 14:07:37 BST 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-13 at 13:27 +0100, Robert Shiels wrote:
> I tried to buy something through play.com last week, and they want my
> credit card details. Along with the usual dates and numbers, they are
> also insisting on a date of birth, and a landline telephone number? For
> security reasons.
>
> I dislike giving online retailers any more information than I have to -
> do they really need this? Will other companies be following suit and so
> refusing is just me playing Canute? Will the CC company verify these
> details (not sure if I've even given them my phone number.) - I'm of the
> opinion that play.com are just data mining.

They might not want those details for a simple CC auth.  I bought
something quite expensive from Play.com a few years ago and they called
me to tell me that I'd failed the credit check so they had to reject the
order.  Turned out to be because I wasn't on the electoral roll, I'm
fairly sure my credit card company didn't tell them that.

Regards,
Denny