Credit Cards

Mark Fowler mark at twoshortplanks.com
Tue Oct 13 14:37:15 BST 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 1:27 PM, Robert Shiels <robert at se71.org> wrote:

> Will the CC company verify these details (not sure if I've even given them my phone number.)

Some will.  Some won't.  Obviously, if they don't have that info, they
can't.  Really depends on the issuing bank.  Play probably require it
because one of their payment processors may require it because one of
their issuing banks requires it.

Payment processors (the people who play middlemen between the banks
and Play) also may do noddy fraud scorings based on this (i.e. if you
provide an invalid phone number they may increase the fraud score on
the transaction.)

A solid "It depends" kind of answer.

Play may also demand your date of birth so they force you to declare
your age, which is useful as a legal defence when they're selling you
age-restricted products like certain films and games.

Mark.