Credit Cards

Avleen Vig avleen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 21:07:53 BST 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 5:27 AM, Robert Shiels <robert at se71.org> wrote:
> further to recent discussions, I think there are people here who might be
> able to give me and  answer to a question I have that I can't fine through
> browsing.
>
> I tried to buy something through play.com last week, and they want my credit
> card details. Along with the usual dates and numbers, they are also
> insisting on a date of birth, and a landline telephone number? For security
> reasons.
>
> I dislike giving online retailers any more information than I have to - do
> they really need this? Will other companies be following suit and so
> refusing is just me playing Canute? Will the CC company verify these details
> (not sure if I've even given them my phone number.) - I'm of the opinion
> that play.com are just data mining.

For what it's worth, I think yes other companies are going to start doing this.

Here in the US, when you place a credit card order online, you almost
always have to give the phone number associated with the credit card
account, and that is definitely verified by the CC company / bank.
I see no problem with this really.