Credit Cards

Mark Blackman mark at blackmans.org
Thu Oct 15 11:31:33 BST 2009

On 13/10/2009 20:23, Dave Hodgkinson wrote:

> On 13 Oct 2009, at 13:27, Robert Shiels wrote:
>>
>> I tried to buy something through play.com last week, and they want my
>> credit card details. Along with the usual dates and numbers, they are
>> also insisting on a date of birth, and a landline telephone number?
>> For security reasons.
>>

> Oh, forgot to say, I failed a FairFX credit check through not having a
> landline number. And this for a system that you load with money first.

Money laundering rules require FairFX to be able to achieve a minimum
level of identity verification, precisely because prepaid cards are such
a beautiful way to do money laundering. In the past, these were
very rigid, automated verification tests, but they can now do identity
verification through submission of documents.

- Mark