keyboards/RSI/switching costs (was Looking for a secondhand Datahand Pro II)

jesse jesse at
Wed Oct 21 15:32:46 BST 2009

> Problem then comes with people who need to help you on your computer. I
> often help a tester here who has a "Natural" split keyboard, and find
> it tough, but doable (I used to use a natural years ago, the problem is
> using a Natural from a sideways position or standing position while at
> $co-worker's desk). I can't imagine any way of coping if he had a
> Dvorak layout.

When my friend Adam was switching over to Dvorak many years ago, he
implemented two small shell scripts to toggle layout: "asdf" and "aoeu"

It helped keep the problem Matt mentions in check.