keyboards/RSI/switching costs (was Looking for a secondhand Datahand Pro II)

Patrick Mulvany paddy at firedrake.org
Fri Oct 23 12:04:02 BST 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 12:23:51PM +0100, Smylers wrote:

> Civil Service guidelines for new software procurement probably insist on
> decent accessibility support[*2], but continuing to use legacy systems
> which predate[*3] those guidelines isn't inself illegal.

Actually this isn't the worst problem you will have. All Gov type departments have very strict controls on software deployment so you would have to get the software tested and approved before you could get it installed. Even upgrading from one version of software to another is a pain never mind trying to get a new piece of software installed. I would not be surprised if total time from requesting a piece of software, through approval and installation took 6 months to a year and that is with everyone co-operating. If anyone feels the need to stick his/her oar in it could be sunk without trace in 30 seconds.

Just my thoughts

Paddy