git vs mercurial

Tom Hukins tom at eborcom.com
Tue Nov 10 11:17:39 GMT 2009

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 10:58:12AM +0000, James Laver wrote:
> I used mercurial in a nondistributed fashion at $previous_work and
> that was a disaster. One guy kept pushing every 30 seconds and I
> couldn't get a commit in edgeways.

I haven't used Mercurial, but that sounds like a social problem rather
than a technical shortcoming.

Version control involves more collaboration between people than most
software problems.  Nonetheless, I like version control tools that
deal exclusively with the fiddly things humans find time consuming
like branching and merging, keeping out of the way of interpersonal
issues.

I have used a few collaborative tools that try to resolve human
issues, and they seldom do as good a job as most humans.

Tom