Production databases on SSDs?

Dave Hodgkinson davehodg at
Wed Nov 11 00:15:13 GMT 2009

On 10 Nov 2009, at 20:36, Dirk Koopman wrote:

> Ovid wrote:
>> Does anyone here have any experience putting a production database
>> on a solid-state drive?  Our database is heavily used and it sounds
>> to me like we could get a massive performance boost for minimal
>> cost and no architectural changes.  Are there any downsides I
>> should be aware of?
> Write cycles. They are very limited.
> Even on best kwalitee flash chips you will only get approx 100,000
> write cycles. Most flash controllers "get over" this by doing "wear
> levelling"  (which means that writes are spread about the available
> blocks and not concentrated on the same few blocks [think inodes]).
> This will get you another couple of orders of magnitude. So maybe
> 10,000,000 write cycles.
> Then there is the UDI file system. Which does some other
> optimisations, but is probably no (or not much) better than the wear
> leveling hardware.
> Heavy usage? Don't think flash will help you, or at least - not for
> long.

I'm kinda concerned that this is all trying to sidestep understanding
of database usage. It slapping 32G of RAM on top of a hard drive
really not good enough? Do you really not have control over the
database queries?

Dave Hodgkinson                                MSN: davehodg at
Site:                  UK: +44 7768 490620