Help me become a Londoner!

Hakim Cassimally hakim.cassimally at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 14:33:59 GMT 2009

2009/11/19 Denny <2009 at denny.me>:
> On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 12:37 +0000, David Cantrell wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 12:20:34PM +0100, Gianni Ceccarelli wrote:
>> > - is there a no-interest, no-fees, everything-on-the-web bank that can
>> >   be trusted (at least a bit :) ) with my money?
>>
>> You'll have to go to a brick-and-mortar branch to open the account, but
>> Barclays fits the bill, and is the least bankrupt of the big names.
>
> I use Smile, which is the online brand of the Co-operative, who are one
> of the few banks with an ethical policy (and, as with the building
> societies someone mentioned earlier, no shareholders driving corporate
> greed).  Their onlinebanking works very well, even in Firefox on Linux,
> which I understand is not the case with some other banks.

I use Nationwide.  Their online banking works with Linux/Firefox and
OSX/Safari, and they are slightly less evil than a bank (they're still
a building society).  On the other hand, they don't seem to use the
fast payments system, which means that my salary/transfers would often
arrive 2-3 days later than other people's.

Oh, and I use HSBC for business banking, the online thingy seems to
work fine on Linux.  Can't vouch for their personal online banking
though.  (They do use fast payments though, I believe).

osf'