Dear LazyWeb - FreeBSD makefiles

Simon Wistow simon at thegestalt.org
Thu Nov 19 15:55:53 GMT 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 11:24:59AM +0000, Mark Blackman said:
> And that example unintentionally reversed the dependency order
> as well as leaving out the 'do all such files' bit.
>
> It should have been '.pod.l' and needs a pseudo target like 'all'
> to trigger the transformation rules.

I was heartened at first because that was the direction I'd been heading
in too except ... I've just tried every combination I can think of and
it's still not working (although it's perfectly possible that I missed
some out).

*sigh*

The file in question is here

http://github.com/crucially/timesplicedb/blob/master/man/Makefile.am

for what it's worth.

I haven't touched autotools and friends for a while now and I'd
forgotten how generally loathesome they are. Specifically the fact the
syntax seems to delight in being as complicated, illogical, inconsistent
and unreadable as possible and the docs are awful - if you can find the
section you're looking for it generally has one, very specific example
with no explanation thus rendering it tricky, if not impossible to adapt
to your situation.

At $work[-3] we switched a autoconf system to scons and that was pretty
nice but it's just not a practical consideration if you're trying to
distribute OS C software - everyone expects ./configure; make; make
install