Help me become a Londoner!

James Laver james.laver at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 12:07:04 GMT 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 11:53 AM, Richard Huxton <dev at archonet.com> wrote:
> Mike Woods wrote:
>>
>> If you do go the public transport route most places can be reached
>> within an hour
>
> Pretty much everywhere in London can be reached in about an hour. The
> flip side of that is that pretty much everywhere in London takes about
> an hour to reach.

This does of course depend upon where you live.

When I was living in Shepherds Bush, I was 7 minutes walk from the
central line or a minute from the H&C. When I got a contract around
Westbourne Park, my commute became 15 minutes. Quality of life
improved, yada yada.

With the central line, working in the city was still less than half an
hour away, including picking up a coffee en route.

Contrast that with where I currently am (fish island), where getting
to the city is nearly an hour (owing partially to the 15 minute walk
to the overground, and the fact that my nearest transport link is the
london overground). It's notable that just about all of central london
is about the same time to get to though, it's just the effort of
getting anywhere near it that takes time.

--James