Help me become a Londoner!

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Tue Nov 24 23:49:35 GMT 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 11:53:57AM -0800, Paul Makepeace wrote:

> Yeah, I'm not dinging TfL, and yes, they do provide a reasonable means
> of getting around London with the caveat that you check for line
> closures on every journey (something that I don't recall methodically
> doing 10 years ago).

That's because ten years ago they weren't bothering to do any
maintenance.

And you don't have to check before every journey.  I certainly don't
bother.  Just check at weekends.

> It's that your own two wheeled transport is just so much quicker. The
> earlier-quoted w9 to w2 3RL journey would be about six minutes on
> a(ny) bike, and no walking.

Provided you've got somewhere to park it.  And don't forget the extra
time/hassle of having to cleanse yourself and change your clothes
afterwards.

> Where a bike really excels however is at night. If you go out late and
> need to get home the ratio between time on night bus and bike can be
> upwards of 10x.

Only if you're sober.

 hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H. L. Mencken