help - looking for a crossword compiler (human or computer)

Ovid curtis_ovid_poe at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 14 12:32:12 GMT 2009

----- Original Message ----

> From: Ovid <publiustemp-londonpm at yahoo.com>

> > Cool - I have 3 volunteers to review - thanks all - still
> > no joy with
> > crossword creators.. I'm not doing it by hand bah!
>
> For anyone who wants to take a swing at it, this is the unsolved "problem #99"
> in Perl 6 problems:
>
> http://github.com/perl6/perl6-examples/tree/c043016d511c196518a384a753dc4d0dac5fa0b2/99-problems

I lied.  That's for solving a crossword with a when you know the solution words.  Even that, for small crosswords, is extremely slow.  I expect that this is a computationally hard problem for open grid crossword (i.e., very few blanks).  For lined crosswords, I expect it's a bit easier since you can adjust the lines to suit.

Cheers,
Ovid
--
Buy the book         - http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/perlhks/