No more IP for you

Mark Overmeer mark at
Wed Jan 20 14:05:24 GMT 2010

* Peter Corlett (abuse at [100120 13:25]:
> On 20 Jan 2010, at 10:54, Paul LeoNerd Evans wrote:
> > .... On our border routers
> > at $company we're currently looking at 305,000 prefixes.

> Serious question: When IPv6 grows to the same size as the existing IPv4
> network, what is preventing it from also not having a similar number of
> prefixes? Hierarchical route aggregation is a good start, but no solution.

The IPv4-space is heavily fragmented because everyone runs out of their
allocated range all the time, to ask for a new and unrelated range. With
all historical mistakes and policy changes, the IP space has become
a mess.

IPv6 offers much much larger ranges and much simpler renumbering schemes.
The old mistakes are undone: enough ways to make new mistakes.

       Mark at                          solutions at