No more IP for you

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at
Wed Jan 20 15:32:06 GMT 2010

David Cantrell wrote:

> There are of the order of 10 billion IPv6 addresses available for every
> atom in the earth.  I'm sure there will be problems, but running out of
> address space ain't one of 'em.

Other way round.

IPv6 address space = 2^128 approx 3.4 x 10^38

Mass of Planet Earth 5.96 x 10^27g

Atoms in Planet Earth (assuming composition 35% Fe, 30% O, 15% Si, 13% Mg,
7% Al by mass) about 10^50.

So one IPv6 address per 10^11 -- 10^12 atoms.  Which is bigger than some
viruses, but smaller than a typical mammalian cell.

Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.              7 Priory Courtyard, Flat 3
Black Earth Consulting                       Ramsgate
                                             Kent, CT11 9PW
Free and Open Source Solutions               Tel: +44 (0)1843 580647