Looking for a Perl development position in London

James Laver james.laver at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 17:11:20 GMT 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 4:50 PM, Dominic Thoreau
<dominic at thoreau-online.net> wrote:

> These days aren't parental leave rights extended to a fairly generous
> degree towards the father as well?
> IIRC if the mother wants to return to work the father can take
> parental leave with very similar conditions (of course, since I have
> no real possibility of being in this situation in the near future I
> may have mis-remembered it)

Avoiding anyone who may potentially get pregnant or have their partner
get pregnant tends to severely limit your pool of applicants.

Some of my over-40 friends assume that a number of jobs they've been
declined for are about age, but not in the usual manner. People of
that age bracket tend to have commitments, family etc. and tend not to
want to work 100 hour weeks in the office for some crappy startup that
pays tuppence a week.

>From my own point of view, things have picked up since I stopped
putting my age on my CV.

--James