2 depend or not 2 depend

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask at develooper.com
Sat Feb 13 21:55:27 GMT 2010

On Feb 13, 2010, at 9:30, Nicholas Clark wrote:

[Checking binaries into VCS]
> This system likely *wouldn't* scale if we needed even a second architecture.

We have a git submodule for "cpan/".  We primarily deploy and develop on x86_64 linux, but we also keep the darwin/OS X arch updated so we can run things on our laptops.

Graham made http://github.com/abh/combust/raw/master/bin/diff_cpan_arch to easily show which .pm's are out-of-date.

~10 years ago at ValueClick we had Linux and FreeBSD binaries of everything (perl, apache, ...) checked into perforce to accomplish the same thing.

Anyway; I agree that it's much nicer than trying to use .rpm/.deb/... dependencies in your application.

 - ask