Broadband (probably again...)

Dirk Koopman djk at
Sat Apr 3 23:36:33 BST 2010

Nik Clayton wrote:
> On 3 April 2010 15:02, Dirk Koopman <djk at> wrote:
>> Mark Fowler wrote:
>>  The solution to this is to use another DNS service - google's free
>>> works for me.
>> It works for google's information systems too...
> <>"We don't correlate or
> combine your information from the temporary or permanent logs with any other
> data that Google might have about your use of other services, such as data
> from Web Search and data from advertising on the Google content network. "

And then I read the rest of it.

As someone who has run a DNS server of one kind or another for getting
on for 15 years now (yes, I am that old), I struggle to see the
justification for keeping that sort of information (paraphrasing
slightly) for debugging and abuse analysis - "permanently".

Notwithstanding any paranoia that people might suffer from (it takes one
to know one), I do wonder whether Google realises that, just lately, it
has been shooting itself in the foot rather a lot. Maybe I am getting
old and particularly cranky, but that "privacy" page gives me no warm
feeling at all.