Solid state drives

the hatter at
Tue Apr 20 11:16:10 BST 2010

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010, James Laver wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 09:08:10AM +0100, Richard Huxton wrote:
>> Having said that, there are clearly plenty of applications where
>> power-failure isn't an overriding worry.
> Or 'on any machine connected to a UPS that's correctly configured to
> shut the machine down properly'?
> Or 'on any machine in a datacenter with generators for backup power'.

That's a nice theory.  I continue to be convinced that UPSs both in-cab
and at the DC level cause as many power interruptions as they prevent,
both due to faults and maintainance.  A small trade-off is more scheduled
downtime in exchange for runtime when the grid fails for more than a
minute or two.

the hatter