Solid state drives

Paul Makepeace paulm at paulm.com
Tue Apr 20 18:54:20 BST 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 03:23, Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> wrote:
> On 20 Apr 2010, at 10:07, James Laver wrote:
> [...]
>> Or 'on any machine connected to a UPS that's correctly configured to shut the machine down properly'?
>
> Many data centres won't allow this due to safety concerns.

[citation needed]

> Quite right too: if there's a fire, the fire brigade needs everything *off* while they spray water around, and they don't want one annoying rack still live after they've yanked the master switch.

I wonder how big the intersection of datacenters that don't have halon
AND are served by a fire dept that's using water rather than CO2 to
extinguish electrical fires is.

Google machines have per-machine UPS which works pretty well for a
number of reasons,
http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2009/04/01/efficient-ups-aids-googles-extreme-pue/

Paul