Facebook apps

Zbigniew Lukasiak zzbbyy at gmail.com
Sat May 22 20:50:15 BST 2010

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 9:20 AM, Dave Hodgkinson <davehodg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22 May 2010, at 05:53, Zbigniew Lukasiak wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> It seems that there is a huge demand for Facebook applications.  At
>> least this is what my colleague is trying to convince me about, but
>> since I have already been approached by a guy interested in this and I
>> have already written one app - I have seen all the craze of a gold
>> rush in the Facebook programming forums, it is not that hard to do :)
>> Are there any Perl programmers freelancing in this market?  How do you
>> host your apps?  It is mostly about simple one-page thingies - so the
>> up-front cost of setting up your own virtual machine to run your own
>> apache with mod_perl is a bit intimidating.
>
> Load up a decent VM on Amazon. Should all be out of the box. Or any
> other cloud provider.
>
> Are you going to give a talk on this?
>
> Got a CPAN module that distils the necessary code?
>
> Is there a ::Simple version?

It was two years ago that I was fighting with Facebook and it's api -
but my notes are still there at the Catalyst wiki:
http://wiki.catalystframework.org/wiki/gettingstarted/howtos/facebook_applications
I don't know how much of that still applies.  In general it was
awkward but possible with Catalyst - perhaps something making less
assumptions could be more appropriate - but I have not yet tried
anything else.

Cheers,
Z.