Facebook apps

Simon Wistow simon at thegestalt.org
Wed May 26 03:29:05 BST 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 11:53:46PM +0200, Zbigniew Lukasiak said:
> It seems that there is a huge demand for Facebook applications.  At
> least this is what my colleague is trying to convince me about, but
> since I have already been approached by a guy interested in this and I
> have already written one app - I have seen all the craze of a gold
> rush in the Facebook programming forums, it is not that hard to do :)
> Are there any Perl programmers freelancing in this market?  How do you
> host your apps?  It is mostly about simple one-page thingies - so the
> up-front cost of setting up your own virtual machine to run your own
> apache with mod_perl is a bit intimidating.

A few years back I wrote something that pulled your friends from FB.
Getting a permanent session key was actually a bit of a trial involving
some back and forth with the WWW::Facebook::API author (who was nothing
but helpful I might add). I can't remember the exact details but it was
considerably harder to get up and running than Flickr or OAuth at the

FWIW my code is here

but IIRC FB are switching to OAuth anyway so it's probably redundant