Facebook apps

Zbigniew Lukasiak zzbbyy at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 15:59:36 BST 2010

Seems that there are a few people working on Facebook apps here -
maybe someone could help me with my current problem.

The get_fb_params method on canvas returns nothing - even though
Facebook is sending some data to my script.

I have just created a new Facebook application and the
parameters Facebook is passing to my app is following (from a dump of
the CGI object):

'param' => {
                             'session' => [

So apparently there is just one parameter called 'session' and it
contains a JSON encoding of the whole hash of parameters.
When I look into the get_fb_params code I can see that it tries to find
parameters with the  'fb_sig' prefix or take the data from a cookie (in this
case there was no cookie at all) - so it is understandable that that
fails to find the params.

Am I confused or was there a change in how Facebook sends the
parameters and W:F:A is not yet adapted to that change?

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 2:48 AM, Justin Hawkins <justin at hawkins.id.au> wrote:
> On 22/05/2010, at 4:50 PM, Dave Hodgkinson wrote:
>> On 22 May 2010, at 05:53, Zbigniew Lukasiak wrote:
>>> Hi there,
>>> It seems that there is a huge demand for Facebook applications.  At
>>> least this is what my colleague is trying to convince me about, but
>>> since I have already been approached by a guy interested in this and I
>>> have already written one app - I have seen all the craze of a gold
>>> rush in the Facebook programming forums, it is not that hard to do :)
>>> Are there any Perl programmers freelancing in this market?  How do you
>>> host your apps?  It is mostly about simple one-page thingies - so the
>>> up-front cost of setting up your own virtual machine to run your own
>>> apache with mod_perl is a bit intimidating.
>> Load up a decent VM on Amazon. Should all be out of the box. Or any
>> other cloud provider.
>> Are you going to give a talk on this?
> I did a talk on Facebook apps with Mojolicious at Adelaide Perl Mongers last month.
> I haven't found enough tuits to finish making the slides useable (ie screencasting the live demo parts).
> Once I do, it will be on http://adelaide.pm.org
> Mojolicious is great for one-page (or more complicated) apps - the no non-perl dependencies, small footprint and built in web server make it perfect for many hosting environments.
> If you're interested please beat me over the head to provide me with sufficient motivation to finish the slides off!
>        - Justin
> --
> Justin Hawkins
> justin at hawkins.id.au