Posting to

Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker ilmari at
Thu Jun 3 11:32:54 BST 2010

Steve Mynott <steve at> writes:

> On Wed, Jun 02, 2010 at 05:52:40PM +0100, Mark Fowler typed:
>> >
>> > This is the start of most scripts I've been writing recently.
>> I dumped this since I started using Path::Class all the time.
>> my $content = file("something")->slurp
> Does it work with UTF-8?

What do you mean "work with"? I would expect it to return an octet
string and leave the decoding to you, since it can't possibly know the
encoding of an arbitrary.

> File::Slurp doesn't.

<purl> Look buddy, doesn't work is a strong statement. Does it sit on
       the couch all day? Is it making faces at you?  Does it want more
       money?  Is it sleeping with your girlfriend? Please be specific!

"A disappointingly low fraction of the human race is,
 at any given time, on fire." - Stig Sandbeck Mathisen