Broadband and webcam tedium

Edmund von der Burg evdb at ecclestoad.co.uk
Sat Jun 12 10:13:56 BST 2010

Like a fool I offered to sort out my parents-in-law with a skype
connection so that they could coo at the baby remotely.

And now I find myself needing to get the broadband* and the
webcam/speakers/mic setup needed for a Dell running XP.

Now I like to spread the joy so anyone with any suggestions please
chip in here :)

seem to do a good phone+net bundle. But plusnet have traffic-shaping
which sounds like something that might be annoying with Skype?

As for the webcam is there a good brand that I can plug in and that
will then just bloody work? I hear that Apple do a rather good one
that comes with a computer etc attached but that is a touch pricey**.

Hugs and kisses to you all,
  Edmund

* They're currently on dial-up. I tell you that my eyes went dewy eyed
at the modem song just before I remembered how slow modems actually
were - cup of tea whilst this page loads anyone?

** It also doesn't come with any software to install or stickers to
peel off which is worth lots to me.