Credit Card Processing (Was: Digest, Vol 57, Issue 4)

Smylers Smylers at
Fri Jul 9 22:00:03 BST 2010

Nicholas Clark writes:

> 1: IIRC start date isn't passed in clearing files by some merchant
>    acquirers, so you can't rely on that.

When filling in credit card details on a web form I never bother
providing start date, and it always goes through fine.

> ** IIRC only the digits from the postcode are used. I'm guessing that
>    the spec was made in the USA, where ZIPs are only digits.

My guess was this was so that merchants taking telephone orders can
punch them into a PDQ terminal which only has a numeric keypad. (But I
have no evidence for that.)