Graphical data representation plugins

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Wed Sep 15 16:30:58 BST 2010

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 12:46:07PM +0200, Robin Berjon wrote:
> On Sep 9, 2010, at 16:00 , David Cantrell wrote:
> > MathML is still really badly supported, in particular it still doesn't
> > work in Safari and Chrome, and IE needs a funky plugin.  Not that I
> > particularly care about IE.
> I haven't tried any, but this page has several (grep for "SVG"):
>   http://www.w3.org/Math/Software/mathml_software_cat_converters.html
>
> I believe that the latest Safari does MathML (meaning it might be in Chrome soon as well).

The latest Safari doesn't, but Webkit does, so it might be in Safari and
Chrome soon.

Webkit++

I'm using the latest nightly build from some time on Friday and MathML
Just Worked.  Everything else seems to work too, and it's nice n stable.
The only irritation really is that it claims to be Safari, which is a
bit confusing when I'm running both.

And I found ASCIIMathML, which converts on the fly something concise and
readable <cough> like this:
  `\prod_(i=1)^(\phi(n))p(i)^(\lfloorn/(p(i))\rfloor)`

into this (those of a weak disposition may need to look away):
  <math title="\prod_(i=1)^(\phi(n))p(i)^(\lfloorn/(p(i))\rfloor)">
    <mstyle mathsize="1em" mathcolor="blue" fontfamily="serif" displaystyle="true">
      <mrow>
        <munderover>
          <mo>&prod;</mo>
          <mrow>
            <mi>i</mi>
            <mo>=</mo>
            <mn>1</mn>
          </mrow>
          <mrow>
            <mi>&phi;</mi>
            <mrow>
              <mo>(</mo>
              <mi>n</mi>
              <mo>)</mo>
            </mrow>
          </mrow>
        </munderover>
      </mrow>
      <mi>p</mi>
      <msup>
        <mrow>
          <mo>(</mo>
          <mi>i</mi>
          <mo>)</mo>
        </mrow>
        <mrow>
          <mo>&lfloor;</mo>
          <mfrac>
            <mi>n</mi>
            <mrow>
              <mi>p</mi>
              <mrow>
                <mo>(</mo>
                <mi>i</mi>
                <mo>)</mo>
              </mrow>
            </mrow>
          </mfrac>
          <mo>&rfloor;</mo>
        </mrow>
      </msup>
    </mstyle>
  </math>

The Webkit I'm using doesn't render it quite right, but that it renders
at all make oi happy.

I can whole-heartedly recommend ASCIIMathML, especially given that the
author is very responsive to bug reports: I reported one, and got a
patch in my mailbox within hours.

--
David Cantrell | even more awesome than a panda-fur coat

    You are so cynical.  And by "cynical", of course, I mean "correct".
         -- Kurt Starsinic