Best practice for variables shared between processes?

Simon Wistow simon at thegestalt.org
Mon Sep 20 23:43:51 BST 2010

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 10:17:28AM -0700, Randal L. Schwartz said:

> Peter> http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?TheSchwartz
>
> I always do a doubletake when I see that module mentioned.
>
> I don't dare use it for any of my clients... they'll think I named it
> after me. :)

it's actually named after a guy called Mike Schwartz.

At 6A we had Gearman which was an "unreliable" job system ("unreliable"
in the same sense as UDP) - Gearman being an anagram for Manager.

Then we needed a reliable job manager and Mike was the most reliable
manager.

It also gave the opportunity to write

  use TheSchwartz; # I see your schwartz is a big as mine

Another bit of trivia: MogileFS is an anagram of "OMG Files!".