Good Unix pranks for kids?

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Tue Sep 28 20:29:52 BST 2010

Stefan Scheytt <stefan.scheytt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Due to parental responsibility,

Keep saying that to yourself, one day you will believe it :)

> we occasional use x11vnc to have a look at what episode of Hanna
> Montana our 9-year-old is watching on Youtube today. (Obviously, we
> ssh into her machine and sudo to run that program.)
>
> Do you guys know any other fun pranks to play on an unwitting X user from
> a privileged command line?

xeyes is a classic (as already mentioned and especially so fullscreen)
however more fun I recently found is prodding the web browser to other
pages:

iceweasel --display :0.0 -new-tab http://www.dokimos.org/ajff/
chromium-browser --display :0.0 ^Ctp://www.web_4_all.republika.pl/

I also like:

DISPLAY=:0.0 xmessage -buttons yes,no got moose?

> I found xcowsay, but it doesn't seem to work right. Always bones out on the
> display issue.

Sounds like you need to set the environment variable 'DISPLAY' and make
sure there is some ~/.Xauthority action, easiest solution is before
running any commands, type:

export DISPLAY=:0.0

It's worth slapping your SSH public key into
'~victim/.ssh/authorized_keys' so you can just log in straight as them.

Cheers

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: Vitamin C deficiency is apauling.