wireless routers

Chris Jack chris_jack at msn.com
Tue Nov 9 13:34:43 GMT 2010

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 2:08 PM, Dirk Koopman <djk at tobit.co.uk> wrote:

> My netgear WPN802 seems to have died. Any recommendations for a non-ADSL
> wireless router that is reliable and might last a bit longer? Don't need
> anything fancy, but I would like something that I don't have to reboot
> regularly.

I've always wondered a bit about this rebooting thing - whether the real problem is at my end or that of my service provider. I just have seen so many people buy new routers with the expectation they won't have to reboot - only to find themselves having to reboot the replacement.

I also wonder if the service provider is doing something to intentionally cripple people who have been generating a lot of traffic for a period of time and whether rebooting is really just effectively resetting the counter at the service provider's end.

I use Sky - and on a semi-regular basis it stops working Friday night or the weekend (regardless of what I reboot) - and then miraculously springs back into life on Monday morning. My take on this has been that Sky doesn't employ engineers to do weekend call outs to fix things that break their end.

Not so long ago, my Sky box stopped working even mid-week - lights seemed to sort of come on but no connection and no LAN (which definitely wouldn't be Sky's end). Interestingly Sky's first suggestion was to send us a new power cable which I thought would have little chance of success (as lights were coming on on the router al beit not as enthusiastically as they had when it worked) - but surprisingly it fixed the problem.

Chris