web hosting

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Fri Dec 31 14:55:28 GMT 2010

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 02:40:05PM +0000, Ian Knopke wrote:
> I'm looking for a place to host a couple of websites. One is personal, the
> other is for a small business and needs some forms. I haven't had to do
> this outside of a business or institution in quite a while so I'm looking
> for decent/cost effective suggestions. What do other LPMers do these days?

That mostly depends on what "needs some forms" entails. Is it formmail.pl,
some other CGI script, perhaps Catalyst or Rails, or maybe something
altogether different? The more advanced the dynamic technology in the site,
the fewer cheap options there are.

Me, I'd just throw the site up on the rented server I've already got lying
around for such things. Other people are happy with Bytemark or Slicehost
VMs. Some quite like Amazon EC2. And the really tightfisted bastards go to
UKShells or the myriad American equivalents.