Recommendation for simple Web Frameworks

Simon Wistow simon at thegestalt.org
Thu Jan 6 19:04:13 GMT 2011

So, it's been a while since I've done any kind of web stuff in Perl
(although I was sitting behind Tatsuhiko when he was building the first
Plack stuff so I'm at least aware of that).

I want to build a web site. In Perl. It needs to be dynamic but it's
unlikely to need a database - it will however be pulling data from
another data store and putting stuff into job queues.

In short - I don't really need the CRUD stuff from a framework, I really
just need the url based dispatch. I played around with Catalyst (which
I'm familiar with from 6A) but it felt like it was a bit of a
sledgehammer and that it was (not unreasonably) tied to an ORM.

Before I write my own (or repurpose one of the hundred previosu ones
I've written) does anyone have any recommendations?

Running under Plack/PSGI[*] seems like a good idea so let's make that a
requirement (although it seems like writing a Plack binding for anything
takes 3 lines of code and magically makes your system run 30 times
faster and gives you free unicorn ponies every hour on the hour to
boot).

Some sort of authentication/role system would be nice too. OAuth support
too. Can these be done via Plack middleware maybe? It looks like it.

Is there a good doc / tutorial / pop-up book somewhere that I should be
reading to bring me back up to speed?

Cheers!

Simon